Genre : Non Fiction, Political Science, Classics
Author Niccolo Machiavelli
Year of Publish 1532
Related books Art of war, Chanakya Niti
About the author
Niccolo Machiavelli(1469-1527) was an Italian diplomat and philosopher. Born in the renaissance period, he is often regarded as the father of modern political science. The major part of his life was under the service of the Florentine Republic with responsibilities in Diploma and military affairs. He came into focus after the publication of his first book The Prince(five years after his death). His realistic rather than ideal division of politics gained worldwide acceptance and haters.
Book review The Prince
Earlier, I never heard of this book. One day I saw it on the desk of my colleague in the office. As a typical bookworm- I stared it with curiosity, flipped its back cover, and checked the table of contents. Within seconds I decided to read. The next minute, I borrowed it from him. If you are Indian, you must be knowing Chanakya Niti, a jewel from the history of governance. Well, The Prince can be called its western reincarnation. It was written in the 15th century, so I was ready to read some complex classic writings. From beginning to end the author remained blunt towards his teachings. There is a high chance for readers to find its disturbing ideology. And within no time, they may tag it as absolute rubbish. So, here is my disclaimer for you-‘I am here to share the content of one of the most famous books of all time. I am not recommending this book. It will your call.
Summary of The Prince
The prince is regarded as one of the first works in modern political philosophy. The writing focuses on two things. Firstly, State-‘ all forms of organization of supreme political power.’ Secondly, Price-‘the ruler of the state’. The author says we live in a society where ideals do not get the expected admiration and support. Even when everyone wants to see things as morally sound, they do not act in that way. The prince who understand this enjoys the public hands over him. It doesn’t mean that the prince should start behaving rowdily. The window dressing has to be for a person which mosses want to see that is morally correct. Focusing on enemies Machiavelli suggests, a potential enemy can be dealt in two ways – making them friends for crushing them that they don’t stand a chance. Companies we see as epitome success has been in the bloodiest lawsuits to survive. A Prince has to make sure his hands remain clean before the eyes of the public. Delegating dirty and difficult jobs to others and keeping forfeited and noble work to oneself. Support this statement author shares a dirty incident- Prince of a state wanted to capture territory. He asked his soldier to capture the place at any cost. The soldier along with his men kills innocent people and gain control. When Prince reaches his captured location he senses the dissatisfaction and hates for him. He orders to kill the soldier and tell the masses this wasn’t the way he wanted this place. The prince distributes food and clothing to the people and gains support.
Quotes from The Price
1. How will life is different from how we auto live that he who studies that ought to be done will learn the way to his downfall rather than his preservation.
2. Any man who tries to pick good all the time is bound to come to ruin amount the great number you are not good. Hence they bring must learn how not to be good and use that knowledge or refrain from using it as necessity requires.
3. The vulgar crowd always taken by appearance and the World consists chiefly of the vulgar.
4. Men ought either to be well treated or crushed because they can avenge themselves of lighter injuries of more serious ones they cannot. Therefore, an injury turned to a man or to be such kind that one does not stand in fear of revenge.
5. Prince must delegate the difficult tasks to others and keep popular on for themselves.